Macau’s Chui Says Government Account Suspected of Being Hacked

The Macau government said its e-mail account at Citic Telecom International Holdings Ltd. (1883) was among those suspected of being hacked, amid heightened concern about cyber-attacks.

The police and the city’s telecommunications regulator are investigating, Macau’s Chief Executive Fernando Chui said, according to a government statement today.

Cia. de Telecomunicacoes de Macau SARL, a unit of Citic Telecom, said 34 Internet customers were affected by suspected illegal cyber activity, according to a statement on the company’s website dated yesterday. There was no indication of loss of information or risk to customers’ personal data, it said.

Cybersecurity is one of issues to be discussed this week at the China-U.S. Strategic and Economic Dialogue to be held in Washington. Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden disclosed the U.S. had hacked computers in Hong Kong and China since 2009.

The Macau police identified the IP addresses of the attackers are from Hong Kong and the U.S., according a statement on the Judiciary Police’s website dated July 8.

Chui expressed his concerns over the recent hacking reports to Stephen Young, the U.S. Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau, in an earlier meeting, according to today’s statement from the government.

Citic Telecom’s Hong Kong unit said last month its website was hacked. About 2,500 ComNet Telecom (HK) Ltd. customers’ information may have been leaked and the company tightened security measures after the attack, it said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Simon Lee in Hong Kong at slee936@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Hwee Ann Tan at hatan@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.