Derek Jeter got the go-ahead to resume baseball activities and running, eight months after breaking his ankle, the New York Yankees said.
The 38-year-old shortstop has been playing catch, hitting off a tee and fielding ground balls at the Major League Baseball club’s training facility in Tampa, Florida.
Jeter, who was examined yesterday by his surgeon, may return to the Yankees’ roster after the July 16 All-Star game, which will be held at the New York Mets’ Citi Field.
Jeter was injured chasing down a groundball in the 12th inning of a 6-4 loss to Detroit in Game 1 of the American League Championship Series on Oct. 13.
The 13-time All-Star was cleared to return to action on March 7 and played during spring training before feeling discomfort.
Jeter batted .316 with an American League-best 216 hits last season. His 3,304 career hits rank 11th all-time.
Also yesterday, the Yankees said they had agreed to contract terms with Notre Dame third baseman Eric Jagielo, who signed for $1.8 million. He was the 26th overall pick in last week’s draft and one of three first-round selections by the Yankees.
To contact the reporter on this story: Nancy Kercheval in Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com