New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will be sidelined until after Major League Baseball’s mid- July All-Star break due to a setback in his recovery from October ankle surgery, the team said.
Jeter, who hasn’t played in a regular-season game since breaking his left ankle during last year’s playoffs, had an exam yesterday that revealed a “small crack in the area of his previous injury,” General Manager Brian Cashman told reporters.
The 38-year-old Jeter, a 13-time All-Star, was cleared to return to action on March 7 and played during spring training before feeling discomfort. Initial tests showed mild inflammation of the ankle and Cashman said the week before the season began that he hoped Jeter could play by April 6.
“This is a new fracture, but a small one,” Cashman said yesterday in a news conference, adding that more surgery should not be necessary. “It’s a setback, so it’s not a good situation.”
Jeter batted .316 with an American League-best 216 hits last season. His 3,304 career hits rank 11th on the MLB list.
New York is 8-6 this season, 2 1/2 games behind the Boston Red Sox in the AL East, after losing 6-2 last night in 12 innings to the visiting Arizona Diamondbacks. The All-Star Game is July 16 at the New York Mets’ Citi Field.
To contact the reporter on this story: Mason Levinson in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com