“They have made a number of adjustments,” May told Parliament’s Home Affairs Committee in London today, referring to the Metropolitan Police’s plans to secure the April 21 race, which has 37,000 entrants. “Appropriate arrangements” have been made, she said.
There will be extra “high-visibility” patrols at key locations on the marathon route “for reassurance and vigilance,” the Metropolitan Police said in an e-mailed statement. A spokesman for the force declined to discuss the numbers of officers to be deployed.
Law-enforcement authorities in the British capital are continuing their review of security for the 26-mile (42- kilometer) race from Blackheath in southeast London to near Buckingham Palace in the center of the capital, days after two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. An 8- year-old boy was among those killed.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said police had been “double, triple, quadruple checking” security arrangements. In his weekly LBC radio phone-in show, Clegg said news images from the U.S. were “heartbreaking” and “horrific” and that he understood people were anxious.
“We have the right security procedures in place,” Culture Secretary Maria Miller told lawmakers in Parliament today. “As a result of the experience we have not just with the marathon but with the Olympics, we have the right people in place.”
To contact the editor responsible for this story: James Hertling at firstname.lastname@example.org