Opposition Group Says Syrian Forces Killed 106 in Homs Assault
An opposition group said Syrian troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad stormed a suburb of Homs, killing residents with knives and other blunt objects or torching them along with their homes.
The U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 106 people were killed in the raid on Basateen al-Huswiya, a poor suburb outside the city of Homs, that began on Jan. 15. The group said on its Facebook page that it has fully documented the names of 25 dead civilians so far, 14 of them from the same family, including three children. It said it has received information that other families were killed en masse, including one that lost 32 members.
Elsewhere in Syria, the official SANA news agency said rebels fired a rocket into a residential area in Aleppo today, causing many casualties. Twin blasts that ripped through a university campus in Aleppo a few days ago killed more than 80 people.
To contact the reporter on this story: Donna Abu-Nasr in Dubai at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bloomberg reserves the right to edit or remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.