Tiger Woods announced he will make his U.S. PGA Tour debut in two weeks at California’s Torrey Pines golf course, as a European Tour event the same weekend said it wouldn’t pay him a $3 million appearance fee.
Woods revealed his plans on his website yesterday, the same day Qatar Golf Association President Hassan al Nuaimi told reporters that Woods was “not worth” the fee to play in the Qatar Masters, a European PGA Tour event scheduled for Jan. 23- 26, the Doha News reported. The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines runs Jan. 24-27.
Woods is playing in next week’s HSBC Golf Championship event in Abu Dhabi, and was invited to play in the Qatar Masters for the first time. Woods finished third in last year’s Abu Dhabi event, two shots behind winner Robert Rock.
Appearance fees are banned on the U.S. Tour but allowed at European Tour events.
Mark Steinberg, Woods’s agent, said in an e-mail that the golfer “was never contemplating Qatar.”
Now the No. 3 player in the Official World Golf Ranking, Woods has won the U.S. Tour event at Torrey Pines six times. He missed the 2012 event for the first time in his career when healthy.
To contact the reporter on this story: Michael Buteau in Atlanta at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com