FIFA Says Bin Hammam Resigns From Soccer, Is Banned for Life

Soccer ruling body FIFA said it banned Mohamed Bin Hammam from the sport for life after he quit his roles on the body’s executive committee and as president of the Asian Football Confederation.

Bin Hammam has been involved in a long-running battle with FIFA and ran against Sepp Blatter in the body’s presidential election last year.

The Qatari was previously banned for life by FIFA for allegedly bribing officials in his bid for the group’s presidency, an accusation he denies. While that ban was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport on July 19, Bin Hammam has since been provisionally suspended by FIFA.

FIFA said in a statement today that Bin Hammam had resigned from all his soccer positions with immediate effect “and will never be active in organized football again.”

“In view of the fact that under the new FIFA code of ethics, the FIFA ethics committee remains competent to render a decision even if a person resigns, the adjudicatory chamber decided to ban Mohamed Bin Hammam from all football- related activity for life,” FIFA said.

FIFA said its investigatory panel found Bin Hammam had violated its ethics code with alleged conflicts of interest during his time as AFC president and as a member of the FIFA Executive Committee in the years 2008 to 2011, and this “justified a life-long ban from all football related activity.”

‘Trumped Up’

Bin Hammam has repeatedly said that FIFA’s actions are political because he stood against Blatter for the presidency.

He said he’s tired of what he calls “trumped up allegations,” Agence France-Presse reported today, citing an e- mailed statement.

“For me, the decision by CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport), the highest independent authority in sports arbitration, that FIFA’s ban was unjustified is enough,” he was cited as saying.

“I do not want to spend any more of my life fighting trumped up allegations and to focus instead on my family and businesses,” he added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Peter-Joseph Hegarty in London at phegarty@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net.

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.