Hughes took over the newly promoted club in January from Neil Warnock, who was fired with the team in 17th place. QPR finished the season in that spot, one point above the three-team relegation zone.
The west London team is in its second season in England’s top league after a 15-year absence. Tony Fernandes, who controls Malaysia’s AirAsia Bhd., bought the club in August last year, and gave the former Manchester United player a 2 ½ year contract. QPR is the only club without a win in the Premier League this season.
“Mark has shown integrity and professionalism throughout his time here, but ultimately the circumstances we find ourselves in have left the board of directors with very little choice but to make a change,” QPR said in a statement today on its website.
QPR, which travels to Manchester United tomorrow, has 4 points from 12 matches, and is four points behind Southampton in 19th place. The team said Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will be in charge while the board recruits a new manager.
It’s the second high-profile dismissal in England’s top division this week. On Nov. 21, Chelsea fired Roberto di Matteo as coach a day after a 3-0 loss at Juventus put the European title holder on the brink of elimination from the Champions League. He’d been in charge for 262 days.
Shortly after hiring Hughes last year, the club brought in players including midfielder Joey Barton, winger Shaun Wright- Phillips and fullback Luke Young.
Fernandes yesterday said he was “confident” he can turn things around at QPR.
“I’ve been in worse situations before,” he told Bloomberg in Kuala Lumpur. “Let’s wait and see. We remain confident that things can be sorted.”
The Daily Mirror today reported QPR has lined up Harry Redknapp to take over as manager from Hughes. The 65-year-old Redknapp left Tottenham in June.
To contact the reporters on this story: Danielle Rossingh in London at email@example.com.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org