The National Hockey League and its players’ union will continue talks today on a collective bargaining agreement after meeting for the first time in two weeks, the sides said.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and players’ union special counsel Steve Fehr met at an undisclosed location in New York for about seven hours yesterday, the NHL said on its website.
“The league will not characterize the substance or detail of the discussions until their conclusion,” Daly said in a statement.
The two sides hadn’t held formal discussions since Oct. 18.
The league locked out its players on Sept. 16, the day after the old collective bargaining agreement expired. A total of 327 regular-season games through Nov. 30 have been canceled, including the annual outdoor Winter Classic. That game, between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs and scheduled for Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, was called off last week.
The league’s most recent contract offer contained an even revenue split between owners and players. None of the union’s three counteroffers was accepted by owners. The players received 57 percent of hockey related revenue under the previous pact.
The season was scheduled to begin Oct. 11. The league has said it’s too late to play the entire 82-game schedule.
To contact the reporter on this story: Mike Buteau in Atlanta at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com