Oil resumed flowing through Yemen’s main crude pipeline in the central province of Marib yesterday after crews repaired damage caused by tribesmen, according to an oil ministry official and an oil company engineer.
Technical teams finished repairing the 420-kilometer (261- mile) pipeline whose sabotage on Sept. 9 had halted the flow of oil from Marib to an export terminal at Ras Eisa on the Red Sea, according to the Interior Ministry, the state’s Saba news agency said yesterday in a text message.
Pumping resumed at 7 p.m. local time yesterday, according to an engineer for Safer Exploration & Production Operations Co. The engineer and the oil ministry official who also said oil was flowing requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak to reporters.
Crude from Marib has been cut off from refineries and markets as a result of at least 18 attacks on the pipeline since March 2011. Until the attack this week and one last week, oil had been flowing since an earlier round of repairs on July 15.
To contact the reporter on this story: Mohammed Hatem in Dubai at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at firstname.lastname@example.org