U.K. prosecutors are considering criminal charges against four more journalists in a probe of phone-hacking at News Corp. (NWSA)’s now-defunct News of the World tabloid in Britain.
Files given to prosecutors by the Metropolitan Police on June 19 in London outline claims including violations of Britain’s law against intercepting communications, the Crown Prosecution Service said today in a statement. The agency is now reviewing possible charges in more than a dozen cases.
“We are unable to give any timescale for charging decisions, except to say that these cases are being considered very carefully and thoroughly,” CPS said in the statement, without identifying the suspects.
The Met has arrested more than 50 people in three probes of voice-mail interception, computer hacking and bribery by the newspaper and another News Corp. title, the Sun.
Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive officer of News Corp.’s British publishing unit, was charged last month with perverting the course of justice in the case and is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow. She has denied the claims.
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Larson in London at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at firstname.lastname@example.org