Businessman Who Sparked Pakistan Coup Memo Controversy Testifies
The businessman who claimed that Pakistan’s president sought U.S. help to avert a possible coup last year testified before the commission probing his account, which sparked a power struggle between elected and army leaders.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court Dec. 30 ordered a judicial commission to probe allegations by Ijaz that President Asif Ali Zardari’s former envoy to the U.S., Husain Haqqani, sent a memo to senior Pentagon officials seeking help to prevent any military power grab after the U.S. raid that killed Osama bin Laden in May.
Ijaz today showed the commission’s members evidence to back up his allegations, the Geo television channel reported, including BlackBerry messages exchanged with Haqqani.
Haqqani’s lawyer said he would “object to the method being used” to record Ijaz’s statement. “I want to cross examine him. You can’t do that in a proper way in a videoconference,” Zahid Bukhari told reporters today.
The dispute over the memo triggered the sharpest civil- military confrontation since army rule ended in 2008. Zardari opposed the judicial inquiry, while military chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani supported it.
Tensions eased after Prime Minster Yousuf Raza Gilani retracted remarks in which he accused generals of violating the constitution by submitting their statements on Ijaz’s claims directly to the Supreme Court rather than through his government.
Haqqani, who was forced to resign over the memo, and the government deny involvement in its drafting or delivery. Haqqani served as an adviser to Zardari and in the 1990s was a spokesman for Zardari’s late wife, Benazir Bhutto, during her tenure as prime minister.
To contact the reporters on this story: Haris Anwar in Islamabad at firstname.lastname@example.org;
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Peter Hirschberg at email@example.com
Bloomberg reserves the right to edit or remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.