The U.K. government plans to lodge an appeal today against two court rulings that said its early cuts to solar subsidies were unlawful, a spokeswoman for the Department of Energy and Climate Change said by phone.
The government in December lost a case against Solarcentury Holdings Ltd., Homesun Ltd. and the environmental group Friends of the Earth after seeking to bring in subsidy cuts on Dec. 12. It lost an appeal last month, and said then that it will bring in the reductions on March 3 if it fails in a bid to overturn those rulings.
“If we are lucky this is just a cynical exercise to limit the market to 3rd March and they will withdraw in a few weeks,” Solarcentury Chairman Jeremy Leggett said today in an e-mailed statement.
The government has until 4:30 p.m. tomorrow to file papers.
To contact the reporter on this story: Alex Morales in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reed Landberg at email@example.com