Pakistan’s armed forces issued a newly detailed rejection of last month’s report by the U.S. military that said both armies had made mistakes that led to the Nov. 26 border clash between them.
The Pakistan military press office posted on its website a 25-page account of its disagreements with the U.S. investigation of the fight, in which American air strikes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
The “fundamental cause” of the incident was “the failure of U.S./ISAF to share its near-border operation with Pakistan at any level,” the account said, using the acronym for the U.S.- led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan.
Pakistan’s army spokesman, Major General Athar Abbas, voiced his command’s rejection of the report immediately after it was issued on Dec. 22. Since the clash, Pakistan has closed its border to U.S. military supplies being sent to Afghanistan and suspended much of its military and intelligence cooperation with the U.S. government.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Peter Hirschberg at email@example.com.