College sports’ governing body won’t take further action after a brawl between men’s basketball players at the University of Cincinnati and No. 8 Xavier University resulted in eight suspensions by the schools.
The game on Dec. 10 was stopped with 9.4 seconds remaining after a shouting match between Xavier’s Tu Holloway and Cincinnati’s Ge’Lawn Guyn escalated into a brawl when Xavier’s Dezmine Wells pushed Guyn.
“The incident at the end of the Xavier-Cincinnati basketball game is deplorable,” National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert said in a statement over the weekend. “Those involved with that incident today failed to honor themselves, their schools, and college basketball. It cannot be tolerated.”
NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson said today in an e-mail that Emmert’s posting “is our public statement” on the fight. He had been asked if the association planned any further action.
Cincinnati suspended senior Yancy Gates, junior Cheikh Mbodj and freshman Octavius Ellis for six games, and freshman Guyn for one game.
Xavier suspended freshman Wells and walk-on Landen Amos for four games, junior guard Mark Lyons two games and senior guard Holloway one game.
Xavier was leading 76-53 at the Cintas Center in Cincinnati. Game officials amended the box score, ejecting Gates, Mbodj and Wells for fighting. Under NCAA rules, they have to sit out the next game -- Dec. 14 at Wright State for Cincinnati and Oral Roberts on Dec. 18 for Xavier.
To contact the reporter on this story: Curtis Eichelberger in Washington at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at firstname.lastname@example.org