FIFA Says It Won Lawsuit Against Sion Soccer Club Over Player Transfer Ban
Soccer’s governing body said a Swiss court upheld its transfer ban on soccer club Sion, which had ignored FIFA’s punishment and continued to sign players.
The Valais cantonal court in Sion overturned a civil court decision and upheld FIFA’s appeal in a ruling released Nov. 16, FIFA said today in an e-mailed statement.
Sion was banned from new signings after it brought in goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary, who broke his contract with his Eygptian club and move to Switzerland. After the ban was put in place, Sion signed six players. UEFA, European soccer’s ruling body, removed the team from this season’s Champions League, the continent’s elite club tournament.
Sion’s lawsuit could have created a legal problem for FIFA if the club had been successful. FIFA’s regulations ban its members from seeking protection from any court outside of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Elser in London at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Tariq Panja at firstname.lastname@example.org