Peru Court Rejects Fujimori Challenge to 25-Year Jail Term
Peru’s Supreme Court didn’t violate the constitution when it sentenced former President Alberto Fujimori to 25 years in prison for directing a government death squad, the Constitutional Tribunal, the nation’s highest court, said today in an e-mailed statement.
The tribunal said it rejected Fujimori’s habeas corpus request as the Supreme Court’s 2009 sentence was “totally constitutional.”
Fujimori, 73, the country’s first leader to be extradited and tried, was imprisoned for ordering two massacres of 25 people while he was president from 1990 to 2000. The Supreme Court upheld the verdict following an appeal last year.
Fujimori’s supporters credit him with ridding Peru of the Maoist guerrilla group, the Shining Path, which killed almost 70,000 people during its 20 year terror campaign, slashing inflation from 7,650 to 3.5 percent, and laying the groundwork for Peru’s booming economy, which shrank 5 percent when he took office in 1990.
His government collapsed when his intelligence chief, Vladimiro Montesinos, was caught on videotape in 2000 bribing lawmakers.
His daughter, former congresswoman Keiko Fujimori, was narrowly defeated in a June 5 presidential runoff by Ollanta Humala after she failed to dispel concern that she represented a return to the authoritarianism and corruption associated with her father’s rule.
To contact the reporters on this story: John Quigley in Lima at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Joshua Goodman at email@example.com