While there was no announcement of results or plans for a future meeting, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan told reporters the two nations would remain in contact.
U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Stephen Bosworth said the Obama administration would consult South Korea, Japan, China and Russia before deciding on further talks.
“We reiterated that the path is open to North Korea towards the resumption of talks, improved relations with the United States, and greater regional stability, if North Korea demonstrates through its actions that it supports the resumption of the six-party process as a committed and constructive partner,” Bosworth said.
North Korea and South Korea on July 22 agreed to try to revive the six-party forum on the North’s nuclear-weapons program.
The six-party talks last convened in December 2008. In April 2009, the regime said it would restore its main reactor for making weapons-grade plutonium at Yongbyon, which had been disabled under a February 2007 accord.
Bosworth said the talks at the U.S. mission to the UN were “designed to explore the willingness of North Korea to take concrete and irreversible steps toward denuclearization.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Bill Varner in New York at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Mark Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org