Breaking News

Tweet TWEET

Bob Dylan Denies Chinese Censorship on Beijing, Shanghai Tour

Bob Dylan denied that he was censored by Chinese authorities in a tour last month and was never refused permission to perform in the country, the folk singer wrote on his official website.

“The Chinese government had asked for the names of the songs that I would be playing,” he said in the statement posted yesterday. “If there were any songs, verses or lines censored, nobody ever told me about it and we played all the songs that we intended to play.”

Dylan said the Chinese authorities were unaware of reports that the Ministry of Culture refused him permission to play. He held one show in Beijing and another in Shanghai in his first tour of the country.

The Sunday Morning Post reported April 4 that Dylan had canceled legs of his Asian tour after authorities banned the concerts. The newspaper cited the promoter’s chief of operations, Jeffrey Wu.

Dylan said his band went to China with a different promoter.

-- Editors: Raj Rajendran, Gordon Bell

To contact the reporter on this story: Sarah Jones in London at sjones35@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew Rummer at arummer@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.