Manchester United Beats Arsenal 2-0 in Quarterfinals of English F.A. Cup

Manchester United defeated Arsenal 2-0 in the quarterfinals of English soccer’s F.A. Cup, while Bolton scored in the final minute to beat Birmingham 3-2.

Fabio da Silva and Wayne Rooney each scored as United advanced to the semifinals for a record 29th time, one more than Arsenal. Lee Chung-Yong’s goal in the 90th minute sent Bolton into the semifinals for the first time since 2000.

“Both teams went all-out to book their place in the semifinal and we showed great character and determination to claim the victory,” Bolton manager Owen Coyle said on the club’s website.

Manchester United rebounded from two consecutive Premier League losses to knock Arsenal out of its third competition in the past 13 days. The Gunners lost to Birmingham in the Carling Cup final on Feb. 27 and fell to Barcelona in the Champions League four days ago.

“Thing don’t go our way at the moment,” Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose team trails United by three points at the top of the Premier League, said at a news conference. “We have to get over this period. It’s a good test for us now to show we can regroup.”

Da Silva opened the scoring in the 28th minute when he knocked in a loose ball after Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia could only get a hand on Javier Hernandez’s header.

Rooney scored four minutes into the second half by heading in the ball after Arsenal’s Johan Djourou blocked a pass intended for Hernandez.

Separated Shoulder

Djourou separated his shoulder colliding with teammate Bacary Sagna late in the game and will miss the rest of the season, Arsenal said on its website.

Lee, who came on as a substitute in the second half, scored with a last-minute header to give Bolton the win at St. Andrews in Birmingham.

Johan Elmander scored for Bolton after 21 minutes, but Cameron Jerome answered for Birmingham seven minutes before halftime. Kevin Davies, who earlier had a goal disallowed for being offside, put Bolton back on top in the 66th minute with a penalty kick after being taken down by Curtis Davies.

Kevin Phillips drew Birmingham even in the 80th minute when he turned and looped a shot from outside the area over goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen. With time winding down, Bolton sent a long ball into the area which Davies headed into the center for Lee to nod past Ben Foster.

Bolton last played in the semifinals in 2000 when it lost to Aston Villa on penalty kicks. Stoke hosts West Ham and Reading visits Manchester City tomorrow.

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.