Everton Knocks Chelsea Out of F.A. Cup; Manchester United Beats Crawley

Everton defeated Chelsea 4-3 in a penalty shootout to knock the defending champion out of English soccer’s F.A. Cup, as Manchester United battled to a 1-0 win over non-league Crawley Town.

Phil Neville scored the winning kick as Everton made its final four shootout attempts of the fourth-round replay at Stamford Bridge in west London. Nicolas Anelka and Ashley Cole missed for Chelsea, which was seeking its third straight F.A. Cup title.

“I’m just smiling and feeling really good that we’ve beaten Chelsea,” Everton manager David Moyes said on the club’s website. “The players were right on the money today. They were right at it from the off.”

Premier League leader Manchester United was pushed to the limit by Crawley Town in a fifth-round match. Crawley, which plays in the fifth tier of English soccer, almost tied the game in stoppage time as Richard Brodie’s header hit the crossbar.

“The lads put a great shift in,” Crawley’s Pablo Mills told ITV. “It’s one of the biggest teams in the world, so you can’t complain. It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”

In other fifth-round matches, Premier League clubs Birmingham and Stoke scored 3-0 home wins over third-division teams to move into the quarterfinals.

Extra Time

Chelsea and Everton went to extra time after a goalless 90 minutes. Frank Lampard then gave Chelsea the lead in the 104th minute, before Leighton Baines equalized with a free kick 15 minutes later to force penalties.

Lampard made the first kick of the shootout and Baines’s effort was stopped by Petr Cech. After each team made its second attempt, Everton’s Tim Howard made a one-handed stop of Anelka’s attempt and Mikel Arteta scored to tie the shootout.

Chelsea’s Michael Essien and Everton’s Johnny Hietinga both converted before Cole put the Blues’ fifth attempt over the crossbar. Neville’s kick into the top corner then sent Everton to a fifth-round home meeting with Reading on March 1.

Marouane Fellaini had appeared to score a late winner for Everton, but was judged to have been offside when he netted the rebound of Baines’s shot in the 89th minute and the game went to extra time.

The teams tied 1-1 at Everton on Jan. 29 to set up today’s replay. Chelsea was trying to become the first team to win three straight F.A. Cups since Blackburn’s run between 1884 and 1886.

Crawley Town

Crawley Town, the first team from outside the top four divisions of English soccer to reach the final 16 since Kidderminster in 1994, made things tough for Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Wes Brown headed in Darron Gibson’s cross in the 28th minute to give United the lead. Crawley Town then held United at bay and almost got a late tying goal, which would have forced a replay, as Brodie’s looping header went off the bar.

Stoke got first-half goals from John Carew, Jon Walters and Ryan Shawcross to beat League One leader Brighton and move into the final eight. Jean Beausejour, Obafemi Martins and David Murphy scored in Birmingham’s victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

Manchester City hosts Notts County in a fourth-round replay tomorrow, while Bolton visits Fulham and Arsenal is at Leyton Orient in fifth-round matchups. West Ham meets Burnley in two days.

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at bbensch@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.