Second ‘Spider-Man’ Performance Dropped for New Safety Measures
Tonight’s sold-out performance of “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” was canceled, two days after a performer was seriously injured in an unscripted fall. A matinee performance already had been dropped.
Earlier today, New York State Labor Department safety inspectors met with staff members of the problem-plagued $65- million musical. They agreed to implement additional procedures to prevent more accidents.
“If they’re not comfortable and haven’t gotten everything in place, they wouldn’t go,” Maureen Cox, the Labor Department’s Director of Safety and Health, said in a conference call with reporters this afternoon.
“Spider-Man” spokesman Rick Miramontez said “additional protocols” will be rehearsed today and this evening.
Each cancelled performance costs the producers about $186,000 in lost ticket revenue, according to box office figures supplied by the theater. That does not include overtime for actors, stagehands and other personnel involved in the production.
The show’s official opening has been postponed twice. It is currently scheduled to open on Feb. 7.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bloomberg moderates all comments. Comments that are abusive or off-topic will not be posted to the site. Excessively long comments may be moderated as well. Bloomberg cannot facilitate requests to remove comments or explain individual moderation decisions.