Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho’s two-match ban for improper conduct was cut to a game after an appeal, European soccer’s governing body said today.
The manager will miss the Champions League match against AJ Auxerre in two days, UEFA said on its website. His fine was reduced by 10,000 euros ($13,300) to 30,000 euros. Real Madrid’s fine was cut by 20,000 euros to 100,000 euros.
Mourinho last month was found guilty of improper conduct because he urged two players to get red cards to clear their disciplinary slate before the next round.
Players Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos, who both got delibrately dismissed from the Nov. 23 match against Ajax, were fined 20,000 euros, and Iker Casillas and Jerzy Dudek, who relayed Mourinho’s instructions, were fined 10,000 euros and 5,000 euros, respectively. Those penalties remain, UEFA said.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Chris Elser at email@example.com