The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable links to the Web.
Former Reds manager Rafael Benitez, now in charge at European champion Inter, is preparing a 25 million-pound ($39 million) offer, the Mail said.
Clubs must name their 25-man squad on Aug. 31 and cannot change it until the transfer period opens Jan. 1, according to the new regulations. Spurs manager Harry Redknapp won’t hold a place for the oft-injured Woodgate in hope he gets fit in a few months, the Express said.
Mario Balotelli’s reported arrival at Manchester City may spark a series of moves as the club gets in line with the new squad rules, the Daily Mirror said.
City must release up to a dozen players to reach the 25-man limit, with eight required to fit the criteria of three years’ training in England before they turned 21, the Mirror said. Emmanuel Adebayor could be one of the first to go, with City ready to send him on loan to Juventus after just one season, the newspaper said.
Harry Redknapp wants Parker before his team’s Champions League qualifying games next month and would be given only 8 million pounds to complete the signing, the Mirror said.
Back to Spain?
Almunia, who has also attracted attention from Atletico Madrid, hasn’t been told that manager Arsene Wenger is ready to replace him, the Mail said. Arsenal had an initial 2 million- pound offer for Schwarzer rejected last month, the newspaper said.
World Cup Regret
“It wasn’t until a week before the tournament when you start seeing all the build-up and I thought maybe I’d made the wrong decision,” Scholes was quoted as saying by the Mail.