Inter Wants England's Capello to Replace Mourinho, Guardian Says: Roundup

The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable links to the Web.

Inter Targets Capello

European champion Inter Milan is targeting England manager Fabio Capello to replace outgoing boss Jose Mourinho, the Guardian reported.

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said yesterday he’s negotiating Mourinho’s release with Inter owner Massimo Moratti.

The Guardian said Moratti has identified Capello as the “ideal candidate” to fill the vacancy created by Mourinho’s departure. The newspaper added Inter is willing to offer Capello a salary of 9 million pounds ($13.1 million), 3 million pounds more than his deal with England.

Capello previously pledged his future to the Football Association when asked about the speculation linking him with a return to his native country.

“I have a contract with the F.A. and the only way it will finish is if they decide to sack me,” Capello told reporters last week. “I see my name linked with lots of jobs in England, Spain and Italy, but I’m happy here with the F.A. I like my job, I like this country and I don’t think about my future. My future is about tomorrow and the World Cup.”

England’s first match at the World Cup is against the U.S. on June 12. Capello’s contract runs through 2012.

Cole Exit?

Chelsea may lose left-back Ashley Cole to an overseas suitor following reports that his pop star wife Cheryl has filed for divorce, the Sun reported.

Cole may seek to leave England to avoid barracking from rival fans over the collapse of his marriage, the newspaper said. Real Madrid, AC Milan, Roma and Bayern Munich are among clubs interested in the England defender, it added.

With former Chelsea coach Mourinho primed to take over at Real, the Spanish capital may be his likeliest destination, the newspaper said.

Spurs Warn Joe Cole

Tottenham won’t sign Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole unless he reduces his wage demands, the Daily Star reported.

The newspaper said Cole, who’s a free agent, is asking for 5 million pounds per year.

Everton Raid

Everton is considering making a 10 million-pound offer for French champion Marseille’s attacking midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa, the Sun reported.

“Everton have been very interested for a while now and it’s a possibility,” the Sun quoted Ben Arfa’s agent Frederic Guerra as saying.

Bellamy Chase

Cardiff, which lost in the Championship playoff final to Blackpool, may move for Wales striker Craig Bellamy, the Daily Mirror reported.

Cardiff would need to pay Manchester City 7 million pounds for the former Liverpool and Newcastle forward.

Yakubu Fee

West Ham has been told to increase its 5 million-pound offer for Everton’s Nigerian striker Yakubu, the Daily Mail said.

The newspaper said Everton manager David Moyes will push for a hard bargain because he needs to raise funds for his own player acquisitions, which may include a move for Bellamy.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tariq Panja in London at tpanja@bloomberg.net

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.