Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Request a Demo


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Tips on Buying Insurance

By Ben Steverman - 2011-09-14T20:16:16Z

Getty Image

Company Symbol % Change
Berkshire Hathaway Inc BRK/A:US -1.58
8 of 22

Add Ordinance and Law Coverage

If your older house is destroyed by a fire or disaster, you can't just blow the dust off the original construction plans and build again. In most of the U.S., building codes have become much more stringent, requiring upgrades of everything from electrical systems to the thickness of walls when you rebuild. To pay for these extra costs, public insurance adjuster Raymond Altieri Jr. of Altieri Transco American Claims advises all owners of older homes to get so-called ordinance and law coverage added to their homeowners policy. A typical policy boosts premiums 3 percent to 7 percent.