The first two weeks after completing an acquisition are critical to setting the right tone for the difficult transition period. Here are a few dos and don'ts to make those two weeks as productive, and painless, as possible
• Have a detailed transition plan in place.
• Identify your must-have relationships with customers and meet with them immediately.
• Sit down with each employee to reassure and motivate them.
• Examine each area of the business independently, such as production, development, marketing, and sales, to see how they can best be integrated into your existing business.
• Underestimate the amount of management time it will take to conduct the transition. You can expect it will require as much time, if not more, than closing the deal.
• Change pricing or other customer service policies.
• Forget your vendors. They are just as critical to your business as employees and customers.
Return to the BusinessWeek SmallBiz April/May 2009 Table of Contents