Here are some ideas for making your company more visible in your local community:
1. Create an advisory board representative of your customers, even if they’re kids, and publicize it. Then, listen to the board’s ideas.
2. Publish a newsletter about your business for customers and potential customers. Send it via regular mail or e-mail and post it on your Web page.
3. Make your values clear. One couple promotes their commitment to family — sometimes closing their store early to attend soccer games when their children or employees’ children are competing.
4. Make donations that represent your business. If you have a garden supply business, for example, contribute seeds and simple tools for a community garden.
5. Serve as a volunteer in your community and encourage your employees to follow suit. Let them contribute some hours on company time.