Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Bloomberg Customers

Businessweek Archives

Sell your clicks

? Hey Performancing, what's your exit strategy? |


| The Invasion Blog That Could Have Been ?

December 01, 2005

Sell your clicks

Stephen Baker

A couple weeks ago I wrote about the growing market for anonymity. Erick Schonfeld points to the other side of the same coin. A start-up called sells a tool that lets you track your own clicks so that you can, presumably, sell your information to marketing companies.

Whether it works or not (and I have my doubts), the point is this: We'll be getting all kinds of goodies for our information--and we'll have to pay a premium for our privacy.

02:22 AM


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Remember that your trust should hold non-liability producing assets, normally bank accounts, and securities. (Sometimes you may put up a home, which requires the services of a local expert to transfer).

If you hold liability-producing assets in your own name, such as a business or an apartment house, these should be put into a FLP for protection. If you own stock in privately held businesses, this stock should be put directly into the trust.

The benefit of this structure is this; if there is a slip and fall at your apartment house and you are sued, the creditors can?? attack all of your assets. By putting the apartment house into the limited partnership, the judgment creditor cannot seize either the apartment house or the stock portfolio; instead, they must get a "charging order." This means the judgment creditor can only attack the asset involved in the litigation?? in this case that would be the apartment house.

So, a family limited partnership is best used as a way of separating ownership from control. A family limited partnership has three parts:

The investment (example: the apartment house)

The limited partner (who has no say in what is distributed or done in regards to the investment)

The general partner (who has complete say in what is done).

Under the structure that TrustMakers creates for you, the Asset Protection Trust (APT) is the 99% limited partner and you (the settler) are the 1% general partner. Under this structure, you will settle your APT at the same time that you create the domestic FLP. You, the client, are initially the general and the limited partner.

The 1% general partner has full control over the FLP and its assets. The 99% limited partner has no control over the FLP or its assets, but has almost all of the ownership.

Because a partnership requires at least two different partners under state law, another person or entity can attain a temporary interest until the foreign APT becomes a limited partner. Of course, use of such a person or entity would not be necessary if your spouse were involved as a second partner in the planning.

Here?? how it works: You give the limited partner 99% interest (ownership) and 0% control with no liability. You give the general partner 100% control and 1% interest (ownership).

The limited partnership interest is held by your asset protection trust. If a creditor tries to attach a judgment to the family limited partnership, you (the general partner with all the control) get to decide how much, if anything, to distribute.

Posted by: assetprotection at December 2, 2005 05:45 PM

blog comments powered by Disqus