Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Bloomberg Customers

Businessweek Archives

Smart Answers

Frontier -- Smart Answers

Smart Answers

Q: What insurance do I require as a Web designer? --G.B., Palo Alto, Calif.

A: All businesses need property and general-premises and operations insurance, including workers' compensation. But as a Web designer you must be covered for unique risks. What if an e-commerce site you designed goes down? Or if a client's site has a security breach? You could be held responsible. You might even be named in a "trade dress" suit for copyright infringement if you were to design a site too similar to one you saw elsewhere.

Rick Hagemeier of Bolton & Co. insurance brokers, a Pasadena (Calif.) brokerage, suggests buying general liability with advertising-injury coverage in case you get dragged into a lawsuit arising from an ad that runs on a site you've designed. You should also have an errors-and-omissions policy. Minimum costs for a $1 million policy run $2,500 annually with a $5,000 deductible for a basic package, but can reach as high as $10,000 with a $10,000 deductible if you add other coverage. Check out Bolton's Web site ( Marsh Inc. ( also specializes in insurance for tech companies. The Web presents as many risks as opportunities, so make sure you're protected. Have a question about running your small company? Send an e-mail to frontier.businessweek.comBy Karen E. Klein

blog comments powered by Disqus