2. General Electric (GE) is paying $3.2 billion for most of Converteam. The French company's gear converts electricity from renewable sources into "grid quality" power. GE has spent $11 billion on energy deals since October.
4. Japan's Advantest is spending $1.1 billion to buy Singapore's Verigy (VRGY), creating the world's largest maker of semiconductor testing equipment.
5. Arcos Dorados Holdings, Argentina-based operator of more than 1,700 McDonald's (MCD) restaurants in Latin America, filed for an initial public offering in the U.S. of as much as $1.1 billion.
6. EADS, owner of Eurocopter, is paying $637 million for Vector Aerospace, a Canadian helicopter and engine maintenance company.
7. Private equity firm Warburg Pincus is acquiring Rural/Metro (RURL), an Arizona company that provides private ambulance and fire service in 20 states, for $438 million.
8. International Paper (IP) made its first investment in India, buying a 53.5 percent stake in Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills, for $257 million.
9. Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI), the world's biggest brewer, is paying $22.5 million for Fulton Street Brewery. Known as Goose Island, the Chicago company makes craft beers and sodas.
10. The surprising string of victories by the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams in the NCAA basketball tournament has pulled in pledges for up to $250,000 in donations to the school.