2. Deutsche Börse, operator of the Frankfurt exchange, is buying New York Stock Exchange parent NYSE Euronext (NYX) for $9.5 billion.
3. A judge in Ecuador ordered Chevron (CVX) to pay $8.6 billion plus an equal amount in punitive damages for environmental harm to the Amazon rainforest. The company says it will appeal.
4. The Russian government garnered $3.3 billion from the sale of a 10 percent stake in No. 2 lender VTB Group, kicking off a new round of privatizations aimed at raising $34 billion.
5. Private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice acquired Emergency Medical Services (EMS), the largest U.S. operator of ambulance services, in a leveraged buyout valued at about $3.2 billion.
6. General Electric (GE) paid $2.8 billion for a unit of John Wood Group that makes equipment to extract oil and gas from mature fields. The business also helps extract gas from shale.
8. Brazilian billionaire Eike Batista's AUX Canada Acquisition reached a verbal agreement to buy the 80 percent of gold explorer Ventana Gold that it does not own, for about $1.2 billion.
9. Pandora Media, an Internet radio service with more than 80 million users, plans to raise as much as $100 million in an initial public offering.
10. A Francis Bacon triptych, Three Studies for a Portrait of Lucian Freud, fetched $37 million, the top price at a sellout Sotheby's (BID) auction of 20th century art.