Markets & Finance
M&A News: Comcast, GE, Cnooc, Nexen, Hakon Invest
2. China’s top offshore oil and natural gas producer, Cnooc (CEO), won approval from regulators to acquire the U.S. assets of Nexen (NXY), clearing the way for its $15.1 billion purchase of the Canadian energy company.
2. Sweden’s Hakon Invest (HAKN:SS), minority owner of the country’s largest food retailer, ICA, will take full control by acquiring partner Royal Ahold’s 60 percent stake for $3.1 billion.
4. Swedish holding company H Intressenter bid $1.8 billion to buy Hoeganaes, which makes iron and metal powders.
6. Britain’s oldest private-equity firm, 3i Group, will sell Mold-Masters, a manufacturer of plastic equipment, to Cincinnati-based Milacron for $968 million.
7. Lehman Brothers Holdings, which is liquidating the assets of the failed investment bank, has a tentative deal to sell 237 Park Ave., a 21-story office tower near New York’s Grand Central Terminal, for about $800 million.
8. Norway’s sovereign wealth fund, the largest in the world, will pay about $600 million for a 49.9 percent stake in five U.S. office properties in New York, Washington, and Boston.
9. São Paulo-based Abril Educação will purchase Wise Up, which teaches foreign languages to Brazilians, for $445 million.
10. Francis Bacon’s triptych Three Studies for a Self-Portrait fetched $21.6 million at a London auction. Its owner had bought it for $5.9 million in 2006.