Markets & Finance
Bid & Ask: The Deals of the Week
1. The No. 3 U.S. health insurer, Aetna (AET), will pay $5.6 billion for Coventry Health Care (CVH) to bolster its share of government business following President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul.
3. Banco Santander (SAN) raised $2.5 billion from the first sale of senior unsecured bonds by a Spanish bank in more than five months. The two-year notes were priced to yield 4.467 percent.
4. Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP), the No. 2 U.S. pipeline partnership, will sell assets in the Rocky Mountains to Tallgrass Energy Partners for $1.8 billion.
5. Australian natural gas pipeline owner Hastings Diversified Utilities Fund (HDF:AU) accepted a $1.2 billion takeover offer from APA Group (APA:AU) after Pipeline Partners Australia declined to match the bid.
6. Norway’s Orkla (ORKLY) will acquire Rieber & Søn (RIE:NO) in a deal that values the seller of ready-made sauces and soups at $1 billion, gaining new brands in Russia, Poland, the Czech Republic, and the Nordic region.
8. Church & Dwight (CHD), maker of Trojan condoms and Nair hair remover, will purchase closely held Avid Health for about $650 million to add supplements, minerals, and vitamins.
10. A 1968 Ford (F) GT40 racer fetched $11 million at the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance—an auction record for an American car.