Bid & Ask
Bid & Ask: The Deals of the Week
1. Walgreen (WAG) will buy a 45 percent stake in Switzerland-based drugstore operator Alliance Boots for $6.7 billion, with the option of gaining full control in three years. Between them the companies have 11,000 stores in 12 countries.
2. Increasing its original offer by $125 million, Fortress Investment Group (FIG) offered $2.5 billion for the mortgage business of bankrupt Residential Capital, topping a bid by Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A).
4. Microsoft (MSFT) will purchase Yammer, operator of a social network for businesses, for $1.2 billion, says a person familiar with the matter.
5. In the wake of the consolidation of Europe’s carriers, Dublin-based Ryanair Holdings (RYAAY) will renew attempts to purchase Aer Lingus with a bid valuing its Irish rival at $883 million.
6. Brookfield Office Properties (BPO), owner of New York’s World Financial Center, will buy a portfolio of properties and a development site in the City of London financial district for $812 million.
7. The world’s No. 1 hydrogen producer, Air Products & Chemicals (APD), will buy a 67 percent stake in Chile’s Indura for $707 million to expand in Latin America.
8. CVC Capital Partners, a part-owner of Formula One, sold $500 million of shares in the auto-racing series to Waddell & Reed Financial (WDR). The deal values Formula One at $9.1 billion.
10. Joan Miró’s 1927 canvas Peinture (Étoile Bleue) fetched $37 million at Sotheby’s (BID) in London. That’s an auction record for the Spanish Catalan artist and the highest price paid for a work of art in London so far this year.