Bid & Ask
Bid & Ask: The Deals of the Week
1. Thomas H. Lee Partners will buy a majority stake in Party City from the party-supply retailer’s private equity owners in a deal valued at $2.7 billion.
2. Qatar Telecom (QTEL:QD) is paying $1.5 billion to double its holding in Iraqi mobile services company Asiacell to 60 percent, as the company seeks to grow outside its home base.
3. Absa Group (ASA:SJ) is buying the store credit cards of Edcon, South Africa’s largest clothing, footwear, and textiles retailer, for $1.2 billion. The purchase will allow the bank, controlled by Barclays (BCS), to provide credit to Edcon customers.
4. Health benefits company WellPoint (WLP) is acquiring eyeglass and contact lens retailer 1-800 Contacts for $900 million to expand its consumer offerings.
6. Universal Health Services (UHS) will buy private psychiatric services provider Ascend Health for $500 million. Ascend has inpatient facilities in Texas, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, and Washington.
7. Texas-based Vanguard Natural Resources (VNR) will purchase properties in the Fayetteville and Woodford shale formations from Antero Resources for $445 million.
8. In its largest acquisition to date, Starbucks (SBUX) is buying Bay Bread for $100 million to further expand its menu of pastries and sandwiches.
9. Aiming to bolster its Google+ network, Google (GOOG) is paying close to $100 million for social platform builder Meebo, says a person familiar with the deal.
10. Billionaire John Paulson bought a 90-acre ranch and a separate site in Aspen, Colo., for $49 million. The ranch, built 20 years ago for Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan, is Aspen’s largest residential property.