PCSK9 Inhibitors - The hot new approach to lower cholesterol
Dublin, Sept. 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Research and Markets
announced the addition of the "PCSK9 Inhibitors - The hot new approach to
lower cholesterol" report to their offering.
Several companies are actively pursuing a new strategy to lower cholesterol:
the inhibition of the PCSK9 gene/enzyme. This enzyme speeds the degradation of
LDL receptors. Thus its inhibition should preserve receptor function and
enhance the clearance of LDL-C, thereby lowering plasma levels. Sponsor
efforts have focused on three technology platforms as a means to accomplish
this antibodies that target PCSK9, RNA silencing, and antisense
oligonucleotides. This report explores the underlying rationale for PCSK9
inhibition and those three technology platforms. Additionally, it looks at the
strength of available data, the regulatory paths ahead, and the market
opportunities for the two most advanced candidates Regeneron/Sanofi's REGN727
and Amgen's AMG 145.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Lipid metabolism-an overview
2. The role of LDL cholesterol (LDL-C)
3. LDL-C, current therapies, and cardiovascular risk
4. The role of PCSK9 in cardiovascular disease
5. Companies have used three technologies to target PCSK9
1. Regeneron and Sanofi's REGN727/SAR236553
2. Amgen's AMG 145
3. Pfizer's RN316 (PF-04950615)
4. Novartis' LGT209
5. Alnylam's ALN-PCS02
6. Bristol Myers Squibb/ISIS Pharmaceutical's BMS-844421/ISIS 394814 and
Santaris Pharma A/S' SPC5001
7. Preclinical programs
CLINICAL AND REGULATORY DISCUSSION
1. PCSK9 inhibitors lower LDL-C dramaticallyso what are the questions?
2. Which segments of the population would be best served by PCSK9 inhibitors
and does that match with the indications that the sponsors are seeking?
3. Can one expect these agents to lower cardiovascular risk even further?
4. PCSK9 inhibition seems safe but, as always, caveats remain
5. Antibody therapeutics are associated with certain risks
6. Antisense and siRNA technologies are newer and untried
7. Are there theoretical concerns related to PCSK9 inhibition itself?
8. The regulatory path forward
1. Market overview
2. Competitive issues
3. Pipeline competitor analysis
*Bristol Myers Squibb
For more information visit
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager.
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.