Allianz Your Cover: UK Motorists in Fear of Foreign Driving So Be Prepared Business Wire GUILDFORD, England -- August 8, 2013 70% of UK drivers who have driven abroad felt some level of fear about the experience ranging from outright ‘terror’ through to feeling ‘panicky’ and ‘nervous’, according to research by insurer Allianz Your Cover. 2,000 UK motorists took part in the research which also revealed that just 20% of women said they were confident about driving abroad compared to 45% of men. But even the male drivers showed that driving abroad was a less than comfortable experience for them as 1 in 4 said they were more nervous than they were driving in the UK. Allianz Your Cover (www.yourcoverinsurance.co.uk) says that driving abroad could be a less worrying experience if drivers take the time to prepare and research the rules of the road beforehand. The survey found that only 40% of drivers make sure they know the driving laws in a foreign country and just 30% research rules of the road and road signs before their holiday The survey also revealed that women drivers surveyed felt they had a 50% greater chance of having an accident when driving abroad compared to 20% of men. The biggest worry for drivers is that they will accidentally drive on the wrong side of the road (35%), followed by not knowing the rules of the road (12%) and not understanding foreign road signs (11%). Based on the experiences of the people who took part in the survey, 1 in 10 motorists driving abroad will suffer a mechanical breakdown, receive a parking fine, have items stolen from their car or be stopped by the police. For motorists driving abroad who had been pulled over by the police, 37% were stopped for speeding, followed by drink driving (17%). Worryingly, 20% said they had ‘no idea’ why they had been pulled over. Jon Lott, Allianz Your Cover says: “Driving abroad can be intimidating if you are unsure of the rules of the road, but these fears can be reduced through preparation. We strongly recommend that motorists take the time to familiarise themselves with the driving laws of the countries they will be travelling in, and print off a summary of speed limits and other basic information before they leave.” Drivers claim that the most annoying thing about driving abroad is not knowing the road signs (20%), forgetting which side to drive (19.60%) and aggressive drivers (16%). The stress of understanding foreign roads could also contribute to an increase in road rage, with 1 in 5 respondents admitting they get angrier driving abroad compared to the UK. Jon adds: “Before travelling, is it important to speak to your motor insurer to make sure you are covered for driving in foreign countries and you may also consider extending car breakdown cover, which will give you the additional peace of mind you need to relax and enjoy your holiday.” Other top tips from Allianz Your Cover include: *Check the local rules regarding safety equipment for your car e.g. most countries require you to carry a warning triangle, a reflective jacket, first aid kit and spare bulbs *You should have a GB sticker on the back of your car if your number plate doesn’t contain this information and make sure you have all useful paperwork including your driving licence and insurance documentation *Have your vehicle, plus any trailer you may be towing, properly serviced before you leave home. Check your tyre pressures, plus oil and coolant levels every couple of days - continual driving makes different demands on your vehicle from those it is likely to experience at home *Take a spare set of car keys with you. If possible keep these with you (but separate from your other car keys) at all times, in a handbag or jacket, or locked in your hotel room safe overnight About Allianz Allianz Insurance is one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz SE Group, the largest property and casualty insurer worldwide. About Your Cover Your Cover is a new breed of insurance product, offering cover that customers select to precisely match their own lifestyle and circumstances. Using an easy to use ‘Quote and Buy' website, Your Cover makes it simple to design, obtain a quote and manage your insurance online. The result of two years' research involving thousands of insurance buyers, Your Cover is a product from Allianz Insurance plc, which is a part of the global Allianz Group. Contact: Allianz Your Cover Sian Glennane 01483 465227 email@example.com
NHTSA Had ‘Ample Information’ to Find GM Ignition Switch Defect: Report
Allianz Your Cover: UK Motorists in Fear of Foreign Driving So Be Prepared
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.