ARKANSAS, U.S. GOVERNMENT FILE SUIT AGAINST EXXONMOBIL

(The following is a reformatted version of a press release
issued by the Arkansas Attorney General’s Office and received
via e-mail. The release was confirmed by the sender.) 
JUNE 13, 2013 
STATE, U.S. GOVERNMENT FILE SUIT AGAINST EXXONMOBIL 
LITTLE ROCK - The state of Arkansas and the U.S. government
today filed a joint lawsuit against ExxonMobil Pipeline Co. and
Mobil Pipeline Co. for violations of state and federal pollution
laws related to the March 29 pipeline rupture in Mayflower,
Attorney General Dustin McDaniel announced. 
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Little Rock on
behalf of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality and
the federal Environmental Protection Agency. The state seeks
civil penalties for violations of the Arkansas Water and Air
Pollution Control Act and the state Hazardous Waste Management
Act. 
In addition, the state asked the court to issue a declaratory
judgment against the defendants for payment of removal costs and
damages under authority granted to the state in the federal Oil
Pollution Act. 
The U.S. government seeks civil penalties and injunctive relief
under the federal Clean Water Act. 
“This spill disrupted lives and damaged our environment,”
McDaniel said. “It sullied our previously pristine water and our
clean air. As the party responsible for this incident, Exxon is
also responsible for the penalties imposed by the state for the
damage to our environment and the company should foot the bill
for the state’s clean-up costs.” 
The rupture of the Pegasus Pipeline occurred in Mayflower’s
Northwoods subdivision. The rupture caused a spill of Canadian
heavy crude oil that flowed through the neighborhood and then
into nearby waterways, including a creek, wetlands and Lake
Conway. 
Arkansas law provides for civil penalties of $10,000 per
violation per day for violations of the Water and Air Pollution
Control Act. 
During cleanup, Exxon has stored waste including petroleum-contaminated soil, oil and water mixtures and debris at a site
on Highway 36 in Conway without a permit from ADEQ. Although
ADEQ put the company on notice on May 1 to remove the hazardous
waste from the site, waste still remains there. State law
provides for civil penalties of $25,000 per violation per day
for violations of the Hazardous Waste Management Act. 
McDaniel praised the partnership with the U.S. Department of
Justice on the litigation. 
“I am glad for the opportunity to work collaboratively with U.S.
Attorney Chris Thyer and the Department of Justice for the
benefit of the people of Arkansas,” McDaniel said. “Attorneys in
my office and DOJ attorneys have dedicated themselves to this
lawsuit and I appreciate their efforts.” 
CONTACT:
AARON SADLER
(501) 682-0517 
(sgp) NY 
#<278855.14078.3.4.1.0.76>#
 
 
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.