TD Ameritrade Provides Free Investor Education to Help Promote Financial Literacy Introduces F.A.M.E. – a simple way to help demystify investing Business Wire OMAHA, Neb. -- April 02, 2013 April is Financial Literacy Month and TD Ameritrade, Inc. (“TD Ameritrade”), a broker dealer subsidiary of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NYSE:AMTD) is encouraging investors to take time out to expand their financial knowledge with access to free financial education tools, research and webinars on their education center. April is also a great time to do a little financial spring-cleaning. Many of the same documents, papers and files you go through to complete your taxes are the same documents you need for assessing your retirement preparedness. Whether you’re just starting out or nearing retirement, knowing your level of readiness for retirement is critical to your financial well-being. “When it comes to planning and investing for the future, starting early is key,” saysLule Demmissie, managing director, investment products and retirement, TD Ameritrade. “But, it’s important to remember that you don’t have to do it all at once. By breaking your planning and investing into steps, you can build upon it in stages and make the task a lot less daunting.” It can help if you put the right positive perspective on planning and investing. Demmissie suggests investors use F.A.M.E. to reframe how they think about saving and investing for the future. Step 1 Framing – The lenses with which you view your goals can have a profound effect on how you save for retirement. If you focus on being behind on your savings goals it’s easy to feel defeated. Instead of thinking “I have a 30% chance of not reaching my savings goals,” think, “I have a 70% chance of reaching my goals.” It’s the same mathematically, but it’s all in how you look at it. Step 2 Action – Take action. Don’t get paralyzed or overwhelmed by the end goal of what you must do. And, instead of focusing on what you can’t control – budget cuts, the fiscal cliff, social security – focus on the positives and what you can do. Remember that the first step is often the hardest. Don’t think “I will never be able to accumulate $2 million dollars by the time I retire.” Say “I CAN commit to setting aside $100 a month.” Every dollar towards your future will be money you will have in retirement. Step 3 Motivate yourself and set realistic goals. Create small, measurable goals and focus on what is within your control. You may only be able to set aside $50 a month. Start there and increase the amount when you are able. At the end of the year you’ll be $600 closer to your goal. Once you reach your milestones make sure you reward yourself along the way. Step 4 Emotion – Understand the way your mind absorbs facts and makes decision. Are you more of an intuitive decision maker who makes decisions with great ease and goes with their “gut”? Or are you a more reflective and analytical decision maker? When it comes to saving, both ways work, but it’s important to know how you make those calls so that if there are market fluctuations you are making decisions based on fact, not emotion. For more information on the free education tools that TD Ameritrade offers, visit TD Ameritrade’s education center https://www.tdameritrade.com/education.page. You can also follow the Company on Twitter, @TDAmeritradePR. AMTD-G About TDAmeritrade Holding Corporation Millions of investors and independent registered investment advisors (RIAs) have turned to TDAmeritrade's (NYSE:AMTD) technology, people and education to help make investing and trading easier to understand and do. Online or over the phone. In a branch or with an independent RIA. First-timer or sophisticated trader. Our clients want to take control, and we help them decide how - bringing Wall Street to Main Street for more than 36 years. An official sponsor of the 2014 and 2016 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams, TDAmeritrade has time and again been recognized as a leader in investment services. Please visit TDAmeritrade's newsroom or www.amtd.com for more information. Brokerage services provided by TDAmeritrade, Inc., member FINRA (www.FINRA.org) /SIPC (www.SIPC.org) /NFA (www.nfa.futures.org) Contact: TDAmeritrade Holding Corporation For Media: Christina Goethe, 201-369-8541 Communications & Public Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org On Twitter @TDAmeritradePR or For Investors: Jeff Goeser, 402-597-8464 Investor Relations & Finance email@example.com
TD Ameritrade Provides Free Investor Education to Help Promote Financial Literacy
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.