Nordic Mines AB : NORDIC MINES AB (publ) Year-End Report 2012
PRESS RELEASE February 13, 2013
Fourth quarter 2012
· Sales revenue from gold and silver amounted to MSEK 76.4 (-) net,
including a MSEK -16.1 negative effect of gold price hedging.
· The operating profit/loss was MSEK -35.2 (MSEK -16.6), of which
positive exchange rate fluctuations were MSEK -9.7.
· Profit/loss after tax for the period was MSEK -45.2 (MSEK -22.9),
including financial expenses of
MSEK -16.3, corresponding to SEK -0.53 (SEK -0.66) per share.
· Comprehensive income for the period was MSEK 40.5 (MSEK -13.0),
corresponding to SEK 0.47 (SEK -0.37) per share.
· Cash and cash equivalents were MSEK 68.6 (MSEK 11.4) at the end of the
· Investments were MSEK 67.2 (MSEK 76.3).
· The Laiva mine produced a total of 285 kg (-) of gold.
· An action plan was announced to ensure long-term profitability in
· Thomas Cederborg became new CEO in November
· Susanne Andersson became new CFO in November
· A minor leakage of tailings along the tailing pipe between the
enrichment works and the paste area was detected in December. No negative
impact on the surrounding natural environment has been detectable.
· An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) on 20 December approved a
rights issue of a maximum of MSEK 282.
· An EGM on 20 December resolved that Berne Jansson of Eldorado Gold
Corporation (Eldorado) would replace Paul N Wright of Eldorado as a Board
Full year 2012
· Sales revenues from gold and silver amounted to MSEK 247.1 (-)
· The operating profit/loss was MSEK -155.3 (MSEK -17.6).
· Profit/loss after tax for the period was -176.6 (MSEK -25.0),
corresponding to SEK -3.01 (SEK -0.72) per share.
· Comprehensive income for the period was MSEK -133.5 (MSEK
-182.9), corresponding to SEK -2.28 (SEK -5.24) per share.
· Gold production was 932 kg (-), and sales were 843 kg (-).
· A new calculation from May indicates a 4 million tonne increase
of the mineral reserves at the Laiva mine, corresponding to another two years'
· A private placement to a number of institutional investors of
some MSEK 89 was executed in March.
· A private placement of MSEK 15 was made to Eldorado in June, who
thus became a new trade owner.
· A rights issue of MSEK 236 was executed in July, which was
oversubscribed without requiring the utilization of guarantee commitments.
· A private placement of MSEK 40.5 was executed to Eldorado in
· A pipeline was completed in October, with a permit secured to
commence the transfer of surplus water from the Laiva
"Focusing on our action plan to ensure long-term profitability"
"Last year was turbulent and we still haven't achieved satisfactory gold
production," began Thomas Cederborg, who became Nordic Mines' CEO on 20
November. "Accordingly, in November 2012, an action plan was initiated, whose
primary aims are to strengthen the company's liquidity and enable further
investments at the Laiva mine to improve availability, throughput and gold
content to the process plant, thus increasing gold production.
A total of 285 kg of gold was produced in the fourth quarter, compared to 257
kg of gold in the previous quarter. Again, production was affected by a number
of armed planned maintenance stoppages with various causes, mainly at the
beginning and end of the quarter. November went as planned, with availability
of 92% and gold production of 120 kg. The corresponding number for October was
87 kg, and for December, 78 kg.
Sales revenues were MSEK 76.4 in the fourth quarter, up MSEK 10.8 quarter on
quarter, mostly due to slightly better gold content. Availability was 72% for
the quarter, which will be possible to improve through activities in our
action plan, to enable our target of availability of over 90%.
We negotiated a new repayment plan in the quarter. Amortization payments for
December and March have been deferred to the end of the amortization plan in
2014 and March 2015. A rights issue of MSEK 282 before issue expenses was
conducted in January 2013, which was oversubscribed without requiring the
utilization of guarantee commitments. Accordingly, the company has improved
its cash position and will be able to execute its plans for further
investments, targeting increased production and reduced production expenses.
Planning for improvement activities is ongoing.
"Largely, the plant at the Laiva mine is good, but with demanding ore that
makes it challenging for us to extract enough gold and keep down waste
dilution and ore losses. Accordingly, we now have our full focus on our action
plan to achieve increased gold production," concluded Nordic Mines' CEO,
For additional information, please contact:
Thomas Cederborg, CEO, +46708480 521
Susanne Andersson, CFO, +46 730668904
For additional information about Nordic Mines and the Year-End Report 2012,
please visit; www.nordicmines.se
Uppsala, February 13, 2013
Nordic Mines AB (publ)
The information above has been made public in accordance with the Securities
Market Act and/or the Financial Instruments Trading Act. The information was
published at 08.00 on February 13, 2012.
Nordic Mines in brief
Nordic Mines is a Nordic mining and exploration company. Its goal is to be one
of the leading gold producers in Europe as well as a role model in respecting
the environment. At the end of 2011, the company began gold production at the
Laiva mine in Finland. The gold deposits there are among the biggest in the
Nordic region, with a mineral reserve of 16.9 million tonnes and a gold
content of 1.6 grams per tonne. Exploration is in progress in Finland and
Sweden. Nordic Mines was founded in 2005, has over 100 employees and its head
office is in Uppsala. The Nordic Mine share is traded on Nasdaq OMX Small Cap
in Stockholm. For more information about the company and its operations, visit
our website nordicmines.se.
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of Thomson
The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other
applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of
information contained therein.
Source: Nordic Mines AB via Thomson Reuters ONE
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.