MHI Selects "Best Innovation 2012" Awards
17 In-house Recipients Include "MEGANINJA" Gas Engine Generation System in
Container and Camera Capable of "Seeing" Radiation
Tokyo, Jan 22, 2013 - (JCN Newswire) - Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI)
has selected 17 of the company's most notable technological advances or
achievements of the past year and designated them to receive its "Best
Innovation 2012" awards. The list of recipients includes the
"MEGANINJA," a readily transportable power generation system driven
by gas engine and configured like a container, and a camera equipped with the
capability to "see" radiation, creating high-precision visual images
from information on distribution of radioactive materials collected over a wide
The "Best Innovation" program is carried out in-company to recognize
outstandingly creative new products, technologies or business operations of the
previous year. Awards are presented in four categories: "Best New Product
Award," "Best New Business Process Award," "Special Award
for Best New Technology" and "Special Award for Best Company Image
Enhancer." This year 33 nominations for the award were put forward by
MHI's own departments and Group companies, and the final selections were
made based on criteria including degree of innovative invention, level of
technological advancement and scope of image enhancement.
Six new products were cited for the "Best New Product Award," which
is bestowed on new products demonstrating MHI's superlative technological
capabilities; among the recipients is a new type of gas turbine air-intake
cooling system using a turbo chiller. The "Best New Business Process
Award," which recognizes new processes that contribute to improvements in
productivity or operational efficiency, was bestowed on four recipients,
including the strategic business-scale expansion by a best mix of advantageous
businesses through acquisition of the American company Federal Broach, one of
the world's leading manufacturers of broaches.
The "Special Award for Best New Technology," given in recognition of
globally unprecedented technological innovations, was likewise awarded to four
recipients; these included a newly developed technology enabling automatic
optimized control of movements of the Shinkai 6500, a manned submersible. The
"Special Award for Best Company Image Enhancer," which cites major
contributions to enhancing MHI's technological status or corporate image,
was conferred on five recipients, including a media-mix appealing of damping
device to protect the tower supporting the antenna atop "Tokyo
Skytree," the world's highest freestanding broadcasting tower opened
in May 2012.
The List of "Best Innovation 2012" award
"Best New Product Award"
- Gas Turbine Air-Intake Cooling System Using a Centrifugal Chillers
- Type 12 Torpedo
- Container-type Gas Engine Power Generation System "MEGANINJA"
- "ZI20A" Internally Toothed Ring Gear Grinding Machine
"Best New Business Process Award"
- System Enabling Real-time Visualization of Progress of Global Production
- Strategic Business-scale Expansion by Best Mix of Advantageous Businesses,
Acquiring Federal Broach of the U.S.
- Enhanced Efficiency in On-site Plant Inspection Work through Use of Portable
- Construction Cost Improvement through Application of On-site Process
Simulation to Construction Process Planning
"Special Award for Best New Technology"
- "SOI-SOC" Radiation-resistant Computer System Chip
- Advanced Analysis & Testing Technologies Enabling Realization of a NOx
Combustor for Power Generation Gas Turbines
- Enhanced Performance of Shinkai 6500 Movement Control System
- Development of Tsunami Wave Simulation Technology
"Special Award for Best Company Image Enhancer"
- EMERALD ACE Car Carrier for Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
- Media Mix Effects Achieved, Featuring Damping Device for Tokyo Skytree,
- System Dedicated to Measuring Radiation from Rice Packed Sacks
- Camera Able to "See" Radiation
- Joint Demonstration of CO2 Recovery from Coal-fired Power Plant Emissions,
with Southern Company
Details and photgraphs of the winning entries are available at
About Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI), headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, is one
of the world's leading heavy machinery manufacturers, with consolidated
sales of 2,820.9 billion yen in fiscal 2011, the year ended March 31, 2012.
MHI's diverse lineup of products and services encompasses shipbuilding,
power plants, chemical plants, environmental equipment, steel structures,
industrial and general machinery, aircraft, space rocketry and air-conditioning
systems. For more information, please visit the MHI website at www.mhi.co.jp.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Copyright 2013 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net
Provider ID: 00026114
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.