ROLLS-ROYCE HOLDINGS PLC: Re Contract
16 January 2013
ROLLS-ROYCE WINS $75M CONTRACT TO STRENGTHEN
ROLE IN CHINA'S ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE
Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, today announced a $75million contract to supply PetroChina with equipment and related services to power the flow of natural gas through Line 3 of the West-East Pipeline Project (WEPP), the world's longest pipeline and a crucial element of China's drive towards cleaner energy consumption.
Rolls-Royce will supply PetroChina with an additional six RB211-driven pipeline compressor units, bringing the total number of RB211 units sold for installation on China and Central Asia's vast natural gas pipeline network to 56.
Andrew Heath, Rolls-Royce, President - Energy said: "Rolls-Royce has a strong track record of delivering reliable technology and services to underpin China's growing energy infrastructure. We are delighted to extend our role in the West-East Pipeline Project which uses cleaner, greener energy to boost China's economic growth and ensure greater security of electricity supply to China's fast-developing cities."
When completed in 2015, the 7,000km WEPP Line 3 will link China's western Xinjiang autonomous region to Fuijan province in the south-east, transporting up to 30 billion cubic meters of gas per year.
Rolls-Royce, which has provided equipment to WEPP since 2004, will manufacture and package the equipment at its energy facilities in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Mount Vernon, Ohio, U.S.A.
Notes to Editors:
1. Rolls-Royce is a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, and has established a strong position in global markets - civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy.
2. As a result of this strategy, Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising more than 500 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in more than 80 countries.
3. Annual underlying revenue was £11.3 billion in 2011, of which more than half came from the provision of services. The firm and announced order book stood at £60.1 billion at 30 June 2012, providing visibility of future levels of activity.
4. Rolls-Royce employs over 40,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in over 50 countries. Over 11,000 of these employees are engineers.
5. In 2011, Rolls-Royce invested £908 million on research and development, two thirds of which had the objective of further improving the environmental performance of its products, in particular reducing emissions.
6. Rolls-Royce supports a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which connect the company's engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
7. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.
For further information, please contact:
Investors: Simon Goodson Director - Investor Relations Rolls-Royce plc Tel: +44 (0)20 7227 9237 firstname.lastname@example.org
Media: Josh Rosenstock Director of External Communications Rolls-Royce plc Tel: +44 (0)20 7227 9163 email@example.com
-0- Jan/16/2013 07:01 GMT