Susan G. Komen Chicago To Host Mother's Day Race For The Cure Honoring Former First Lady Maggie C. Daley Local Affiliate to continue the tradition of a Mother's Day Race honoring women who have battled breast cancer and raising funds to support mission to end breast cancer forever PR Newswire CHICAGO, Dec. 19, 2012 CHICAGO, Dec. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On Mother's Day, May 12, 2013, thousands will gather for the Susan G. Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure® in Grant Park. The event will honor those who have battled breast cancer and further the mission of the Chicagoland Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® -- to save lives and end breast cancer forever. The Daley family will serve as Honorary Chairs of the race, celebrating the life of Chicago's former First Lady Maggie C. Daley, and the passion and energy she displayed as a Mom and breast cancer fighter. "My wife is a breast cancer survivor, and I have been privileged to walk beside her at many Race for the Cure events. With the very special occasion of Mother's Day, we expect participation to grow as the Chicagoland Race for the Cure becomes a destination for families and friends who plan weekend getaways to our great city for the many attractions it has to offer, and in support of a great cause," said Richard Biller, President of the Board of Directors of Komen Chicago. Money raised by the Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure funds breast health education, breast cancer screening, treatment, treatment support and patient navigation services to uninsured and underinsured women in need. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds generated by the Chicago Affiliate are used to support these life-saving efforts in the Chicagoland community, while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of net funds raised support global research. In 2012, Komen Chicago granted over $1.5 million to 17 community organizations, and in total has awarded over $12 million towards the fight against breast cancer in the Chicagoland service area. "We are deeply touched by this Mother's Day event honoring Maggie and all of those who are affected by this disease," said former City of Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. "My family believes that it takes a strong network of individuals to help navigate the path for survivors and co-survivors and we know that Komen Chicago is making an impact right here in our communities." The Daley family has been a leader in breast cancer advocacy in Chicago since Maggie Daley was diagnosed more than 11 years ago and throughout her graceful fight. Among their many contributions is the Maggie Daley Center for Women's Cancer Care at Northwestern Memorial's Prentice Women's Hospital, named in honor of Daley and her family for their commitment to helping advance breast cancer clinical care, education and research. In partnership with the Chicago Park District, this special race day will continue as a time-honored tradition for families who join together to make a powerful impact. The Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure will begin and end in Grant Park at Butler Field, with courses along Chicago's beautiful lakefront and city streets. Major local sponsors returning to support Komen Chicago include Walgreens, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Kraft Foods, PepsiCo, Thorntons and Smart Technology. Registration for the Mother's Day walk/run will open early January, 2013. Walkers/runners can participate as an individual or as part of a team. For more information, to sign up or volunteer for the race, visit www.komenchicago.org. About the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® was established in 1997 and held the first Susan G. Komen Chicago Race for the Cure®. The Chicagoland affiliate is one of only two affiliates that operate two Race for the Cure® events and has awarded over $12 million towards the fight against breast cancer by funding grassroots breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, as well as global research. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds generated by the Komen Chicagoland Affiliate stay in the metropolitan area while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) supports the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program for research. In April 2011, Komen Chicago was awarded the Affiliate of the Year by Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. For more information please call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org. SOURCE Chicagoland Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure Website: http://www.komenchicago.org Contact: Kimberly Eberl, Motion PR, +1-312-670-8947, Kimberly@motionpr.net
Susan G. Komen Chicago To Host Mother's Day Race For The Cure Honoring Former First Lady Maggie C. Daley
Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.