Which Destinations Became Cool In 2012?
Hotels.com uses its Hotel Price Index to find out which cities took centre stage for Canadian travellers
TORONTO, Nov. 27, 2012 /CNW/ - We all remember the popular 'It' kids in high school. They had lots of friends, great reputations and that unidentifiable special something we all wanted. That said, popularity also comes and goes so using its Hotel Price Index™ (HPI™), which tracks bookings by Canadians, the experts at Hotels.com® have uncovered which international cities made the travel 'It' list this year.
1. Seattle, WA, USA
- climbed one spot to number 5 o Canadians visit the U.S. more often than any other country because it is so close. This particular coastal city is the setting for the popular book trilogy, Fifty Shades of Grey, but is also known for its impressive musical history that includes
both the Jazz and Grunge genres. 2. London, England -
climbed one spot to number 7 o The Brits have always appealed to Canadians and we continue to cross the pond to experience life English-style. This 'proper'
city just breathes cool. 3. Paris, France
- climbed two spots to number 8 o Laid back and trendy, this city boasts top-notch cuisine and high-end fashion. Only here can people indulge in rich food and still fit into designer clothes. Maybe it's this aspirational
lifestyle which keeps drawing us back? 4. Tokyo, Japan
- debuted at number 25 o This resilient city has certainly rebounded from the devastation of the 2011 tsunami. Canadians flock to this innovative hotspot to see cool trends, try new and interesting food and experience
a fascinating culture with exceptionally polite people. 5. Bangkok, Thailand
- climbed six spots to number 27 o It's one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, so it should be no surprise that Canadians are joining this trend. From temples to street vendors - which there are an estimated 100,000 - this is a busy city that appeals to the
masses. 6. Florence, Italy
- climbed three spots to number 28 o It's full of beautiful churches, buildings and museums and if
you're a fan of Michelangelo, it's definitely the place to be. 7. Berlin, Germany
- debuted at number 35 o This city houses many historic war landmarks, but if you're more into art than history, you'll appreciate the ever-present
graffiti lining the city walls. 8. Houston, Texas
- climbed 11 spots to number 36 o Everything's bigger in this state and Houston is no exception. Popular for its steak, rodeo and football, this city may sound like a man's dream but it certainly doesn't exclude the ladies
with great dining and shopping. 9. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- debuted at number 37 o Luxury reaches new heights in this destination. With sun, sand, shopping and impressive buildings there is more to the 'city of gold' than many realize. Visitors can also experience Arabic
culture and experience the desert first-hand at a dune dinner. 10. Madrid, Spain
- climbed 8 spots to number 40 o You gotta love Spanish time. A siesta and all night dancing may not be for everyone, but for a vacationer - it's perfect. Relax, unwind and maybe even enjoy a little footie (football) in this social city. Whether you're planning a trip during or after the holidays, these exciting spots are sure to please. You can also find hotel deals in these cities by adding them to your wish list in the Deals for You Facebook app. If you ever wanted to be 'on trend', now is the time to visit these fast-rising stars. About the Hotel Price Index™ The HPI™ is a biannual report that looks at hotel prices in cities all around the world. The data is based on bookings made through the Hotels.com website and the prices listed are the actual prices paid by Canadians - not advertised rates. This most recent edition of the report compares the first six months of 2012 with the same period in 2011. About Hotels.com(®) Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with more than 160,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 7 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome Rewards(TM), customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Hotels.comCA, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com, LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands. Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50 Press contacts: Lauren Wasley energi PR for Hotels.com Phone: (416) 425-9143 ext. 19 Email: lauren.wasley@energi pr.com Twitter: @energiPR Taylor L. Cole, APR Hotels.com North America Phone: (469) 335-8442 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @taylorlc Image with caption: "Wat Pho is one of the largest and oldest temples in Bangkok, with more than one thousand Buddha images. (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121127_C3676_PHOTO_EN_21234.jpg SOURCE: Hotels.com To view this news release in HTML formatting, please use the following URL: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2012/27/c3676.html CO: Hotels.com ST: Ontario NI: LEI LEI ECOSURV -0- Nov/27/2012 13:11 GMT