- The Obama administration is overhauling its faltering program to train and equip Syrian rebel forces.1
- Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Dennis Lockhart said the first interest rate increase since 2006 will likely be warranted later this month or in December.2
- Zinc surges as Glencore more than doubles from last week's low.3
- There's a lot going on this morning - get caught up here.5
- European oil companies are heading for the best weekly performance in seven years as they added about $74 billion in value following crude’s surge past $50 a barrel.7
- Arabs and Jewish Israelis were stabbed in separate assaults on Friday, as a surge in violence continued to spread beyond a Jerusalem flashpoint.9
- French jet fighters destroyed an Islamic State training camp in Raqqah, Syria, in the night of Thursday, Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.10
- United Airlines plans to order a fleet of 100-seat jetliners from either Bombardier or Embraer if it can agree on terms for a two-year contract extension with pilots in expedited bargaining.12
- Standard Chartered Chief Executive Officer Bill Winters is planning to cut about a quarter of senior staff, resulting in about 1,000 job cuts worldwide.13
- As a rout in Chinese stocks this year erased $5 trillion of value, investors fled for safety in the nation’s red-hot corporate bond market.14
- Texas joined the Volkswagen litigation bandwagon Thursday, accusing the company’s U.S. unit of violating state consumer protection laws.15
- Soon, Starbucks lattes and KFC fried chicken will just be a tap away with Apple Pay.16
- Economists now see a 15 percent chance of a downturn in the next year.
- You don’t need to wait for winter to appreciate Utah’s great outdoors. Fall is prime adventure time in the Beehive State’s five national and 43 state parks when summer’s desert heat has lifted and the snows haven’t quite set in. Shack up in a teepee hotel, brave some of the country’s most epic mountain biking, do paddleboard yoga in a hot spring cave, and then toast it all with some Wild West whiskey.